April showers bring may flowers, but winter may have brought wear to your home. Take a look at our spring exterior home maintenance checklist to make sure your home is spring ready.
Spring eXTERIOR home mAINTENANCE Checklist:
- Yard and irrigation – Are last-season leaves lingering? Trees in need of trimming? Be sure to check irrigation systems as well for green lawns and growing gardens.
- Pools and AC – While it may not be swim weather yet, you can avoid the cleaning and repair rush by being an early bird.
- Roof – Inspect your roof for any leaks or damage. Most roof damage occurs in areas that meet at angles or at seams, where water and debris can build up. Are any shingles missing? Are chimneys, dormers, skylights uncluttered?
- Paint, Siding, Brick – Is the paint chipping? Are there any holes in the siding? Are there any cracks in the foundation?
- Windows and Doors – Are any damaged? In need of re-caulking? Check for water damage on windowsills, thresholds and kick plates.
- Landscaping – This is the time to clear any dead plants or shrubs. Be sure to check none of your trees are interfering with electrical lines.
- Gutters and exterior drainage – Gutters should be cleaned twice a year and springtime is one of them. You also want to check and make sure water is draining away from your home.
- Decks, porches, stairs, outdoor furniture – Wooden materials in particular need consistent care in order to last their estimated twenty-year lifetime.
- Foundation, basement, attic – Water can damage these areas especially, making them vulnerable to mold and mildew.
- Mailboxes, street numbers – last but not least, check that these made it through the snow so your mail doesn’t miss you.
Home maintenance can be tiresome and stressful, but necessary to protect from costlier repairs down the line. Need help managing your spring exterior home maintenance? Ask us about how our Home Management services can help.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2020 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.